A piece on the BBC, citing some independent music promoters, argues that paperless tickets are not working for gigs, because the cost of the technology to interpret the tickets is too expensive.
I've been involved in discussions around near-field micropayment systems from the phone for a while now, and one of the sticking points is the apparatus required by a merchant to be able to handle micropayments. A standardised approach would likely help here, to enable different, competitive, systems to be developed, but without the need for merchants to support multiple pieces of technology or else to pick one technology over others. I've used NFC-based payments on my phone in the past, and found it very convenient, and I'm looking forward to trialling another solution again soon.
For those who have not seen it, Square is really rather exciting; it reverses the usual discussion of payment enablers by making the "mobile" part the trader's system, with consumers using standard payment cards. Sadly, it's only available in North America at the moment.
No comments:
Post a Comment