I am not sure if this one fits better this blog (e-finance/e-baking part) or hte Info Security one instead, however I found this one an interesting border case and I thought I would share:
http://blog.acrossecurity.com/2012/01/is-your-online-bank-vulnerable-to.html
the idea behind the attack is to exploit a "feature" of e-banking systems, who use to round currency cents to the nearest amount of integer cents. This (normal) behavior, used in large scale, could provide large benefits to the attacker.
The article maintains that this would be perfectly legal (provided no check mechanisms are actively bypassed). Although the case would be easier in case a system is broken/bypassed, or if contrary to the service agreement and conditions, don't you think this would anyway be an unjustified enrichment?
Ciao,
Salvatore
I'm not an expert in unjust enrichment, or restitution, but my understanding is that there needs to be a proven wrong, usually in tort (or else an equitable wrong) before a court would order restitution.
ReplyDeleteHere, I'm struggling to see what the complaint would be, but perhaps someone can think of a cause of action?